The history of Great Tangley Manor
Great Tangley Manor is a Grade 1 listed property that has been a dwelling for nearly 1000 years. The first mention of the manor is in the Domesday Book in 1086 where it was described as a royal hunting lodge, reputedly later King John's.
Through the 13th & 14th centuries the lodge was inhabited as a Medieval Hall House according to William Morris.
In 1582 alterations were carried out that characterize the main part of the house today. Some of the timbers from the Armada fleet were incorporated into the design and can be seen in the dining room paneling.
In 1880 Wycham Flower bought the property and commissioned Phillip Webb to further extend the property and design the moat and gardens. Early in the 19th century, after all the works had been completed, the Royal family, including King George V and Queen Mary, visited the property and signed the window of the dining room with a diamond ring. Signatures of King George VI can also be seen on the dressing room windows of the master suite.
In 1976 the courtyard area was created and incorporated two additional bedrooms and a drawing room. The house was finally split into two dwellings in 1959 and has remained so ever since.
Some other notable visitors to the Manor have included John Evelyn, William Morris who may have had some input on the garden design, Lord Grantley, Gertrude Jekyll, George Jack who designed the music room, and also Alice Keppel.
Thought to be Britain’s oldest continuously inhabited house
- Our Manor
Bedrooms & Bathrooms
After a relaxing walk through our gardens what better way to unwind than in our beautifully appointed bedrooms. More »
Our extensive gardens set in our magical victorian grounds are fully maintained and offer the perfect escape from the stresses of day to day life. More »